Additional Questions

  • Carol Thompson
  • Clerk of Court
  • Wyoming Supreme Court
  • Voice: 307.777.7316

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Applications and the rules regarding admission are available at the Wyoming State Bar website under the "Admissions" tab:
If you are applying for admission to another jurisdiction and are a member of the Wyoming Bar, you may be asked to provide a Certificate of Good Standing under the seal of the highest court in the state. The Clerk's office issues the certificate, there is a charge of $10.00 for each certificate issued. Please include payment with your request.
Complaints are made to Bar Counsel at the Wyoming State Bar website under the "FOR THE PUBLIC" tab, Complain About a Lawyer:
Contact the Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics for Wyoming. For more information you can visit the Commission’s website at

The Commission does not govern the federal judiciary.

  • Wendy Soto, Executive Director
  • Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics
  • P. O. Box 2645
  • Cheyenne, WY 82003
  • Voice: 307.778.7792
  • FAX: 307.778.8689
  • Email:
Yes, parties and the general public may view most docket pages and documents electronically through the public docket unless the case is confidential. The public docket provides the case caption, the status of the case, parties, counsel of record, case decision information, due dates for briefs and responses to petitions, and the docket entries. There are no fees for viewing the public docket. Cases filed after January 1, 2006 are available on the public docket and cases filed after 2011 are complete and have most documents uploaded for viewing.
The docket fee for filing an appeal or a petition for review in the Wyoming Supreme Court is $95.00. When filing the notice of appeal in district court, the appellant gives the docket fee (payable to Clerk, Wyoming Supreme Court), to the district court clerk at that time. The clerk will forward the check to the Supreme Court when the appeal is ready to be docketed. If you are filing a petition for review in the Supreme Court, include the docket fee with the petition and copies. Original proceedings are not electronically filed at this time.
After acceptance of an electronically filed document, the original plus six copies of any motion, brief, response to a petition for review or other pleading are required in the Supreme Court. (See Rule 1.01, W.R.A.P.) The only exceptions are motions for extension of time to file brief and motions for voluntary dismissals of cases that have not been briefed. These motions are not conference matters and do not go before the entire Court, the filer need only send one original.
The record remains in the district court until all briefs have been filed, at which time the Supreme Court requests those portions of the record on appeal that has been designated by the parties from the district court. The record may be checked out from the district court to prepare briefs. See Rule 3.05, W.R.A.P. and Rule 3.09, W.R.A.P.
The clerk of district court should have provided an index to the record at the time the case is docketed in the Supreme Court. (Rule 3.05(a)) You may use the page numbers on the index. Although the entire record won't be sent to the Supreme Court, the clerks do not renumber the record after receiving the designations from counsel.
All documents filed in the Supreme Court should be on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. See Rule 1.01(b), W.R.A.P. When attaching pleadings prepared on 8 /12 x 14, they are to be reduced to 8 1/2 " x 11" paper.
Our system does the work for you! Go to the Public Docket on the Judicial Branch home page. Enter the complete docket number S-XX-XXXX or name of a party and click on "Search." Scroll down the page to "Tickler Information" and you will see any due dates on the calendar.
The required attachment is the copy of the judgment or final order appealed from and the trial court’s written and/or oral reasons for judgment, if any, and the statement of costs required by rule 10.01. See Rule 7.01(j), W.R.A.P. Don't attach copies of other documents which will be designated and found in the record. Attachments on a brief are not a substitute for the designation of record. Likewise, don't attach copies of depositions or other documents that were never made part of the record in district court.
The Clerk's office will not fax documents. Published opinions are available on the Court website. Recent opinions can be accessed from the main page. From July 1, 2008, forward, you will find case-specific documents electronically filed and beginning January 1, 2011, the Court began posting all documents entered in cases. As for other documents unavailable online, we will make requested copies at $0.50 per page for photocopying costs.
No, the Supreme Court instituted mandatory electronic filing for all attorneys. Wyoming Rules of Appellate Procedure 1.07 prohibits fax filings in the Supreme Court.
Currently, there are only a few forms approved by the Supreme Court, most are found in the pro se divorce packets. You can download the forms found on the Forms page on the Wyoming Judicial Branch website. The packet can also be obtained from the District Court Clerks. The cost for each packet is $ 10.00.
Generally, you can expect a case to be under advisement approximately three to six months. This is not an exact timeframe because there can be many variables such as the number of issues raised in the appeal, if it is a case of first impression for the Court or the size of the current court docket.
Yes, if you are looking for an older case, those files are retained by the Wyoming State Archives. There is a charge for copying; you may contact the State Archives for more information at:
  • Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources
  • State Archives
  • 2301 Central Avenue
  • Cheyenne, WY 82002
  • 307.777.7826
No, the law clerks and Justices cannot provide legal advice.
No, the Supreme Court will look at the same record that the lower court used in deciding the case. The Supreme Court does not take evidence like a trial court.
Possibly, contact the Wyoming State Bar at:
    Wyoming State Bar
  • P. O. Box 109
  • Cheyenne, WY 82003-0109
  • 307.632.9061
  • If you go to the website, click on Let Us Help You Find a Lawyer!.
  • You can find out if you may qualify for help. If you do not, there are links to other organizations that may be able to help you.